No TCPIP on mysql using Zend

Over the last few weeks I have been evaluating Zend Studio used in conjunction Zend Server CE on my Mac Book in order to improve debugging of my php / wordpress sites.

As I already had an installation of MySQL and used MySQL Workbench to administer it I was getting a little confused when using phpMyAdmin as provide by Zend Server CE and seeing a different set of databases.

I soon realised that I had 2 installations of MySQL, my original using TCPIP/3306 and a new Zend Version using Unix Sockets (tcpip disabled).  This was not really practical for me. So my solution was to remove my original installation and enable tcpip on my Zend version. THIS DESTROYED my original databases, which was not an issue for me as I had them backed up.

Once the original was uninstalled, I rebooted and verified the Zend version with phpMyAdmin and also from the command line with mysql.

Enabling TCPIP in MySQL Zend Edition

The configuration file for mySQL on my Mac was located at

/usr/local/zend/mysql/data/my.cnf

Unfortunately the data folder was locked as shown below

Robs-MacBook-Pro:mysql rob$ ls -l

total 0
drwxr-xr-x  49 root  wheel  1666 13 Dec 19:16 bin
drwxr-x—  13 zend  wheel   442 31 Dec 08:10 data
drwxr-x—   6 root  wheel   204  4 Sep 14:36 data.dist
drwxr-xr-x  23 root  wheel   782 13 Dec 19:16 lib
drwxr-xr-x   3 root  wheel   102 13 Dec 19:16 scripts
drwxr-xr-x  13 root  wheel   442 13 Dec 19:16 share
drwxr-xr-x   3 zend  wheel   102 31 Dec 08:10 tmp

So first I need to unlock the data folder using chmod

sudo chmod 777 data

Now I was able to enter the data folder and open my.cnf for editing. Personally I use textwrangler to edit as I like the ‘hidden’ option which allows my to navigate to folders usually hidden my MacOSx.

The only minor change here was to comment out the line below, thus enabling TCP/IP the same file already defined the default port of 3306, which was fine in my case.

#skip-networking

As a last step I switched the security back on for the data folder, as shown below then verified it with ls -l

sudo chmod 750 data

Again I restarted mySQL and now can happily connect to the MySQL databases using Workbench, phpMyAdmin and the command line.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong> <pre lang="" line="" escaped="" highlight="">